Sunday 8 January 2017

A Year in Review

A Year in Review 

I am not a big fan of New Year’s resolutions as I find they are very limiting and set many people up for failure.  For me it is limiting and I feel a bit boxed in because I like to learn, grow, change and evolve on my own timeline (not just the calendar's timeline). Resolution often bring with them high hopes to accomplish but the lack the substance and the self interest to really make a solid impact long term.  Often people start out with good intentions that fall flat and ending up leaving weak and unsuccessful feelings.  I think it is important to be free to set meaningful goals at any time of the year.  The item often forgotten that allows goals to be achieved is the habits that are formed around carrying them out. Afterall, those who form habits that support their goals are far more likely to achieve them.   

Public speaker and student of successful people from all walks of life, James Clear (www.jamesclear.com), wrote about his process in a blog where he outlines that every year he likes to answer three questions for himself:

  1. What went well this year? 
  2. What didn’t go well this year?
  3. What am I working towards? 

He shares his insights with people as a way to show that the process of being successful takes time. He also posts the information on his website to show what he has uncovered in past years as well. I always find his insights quite interesting. It is comforting to see a successful person like him having so much trouble following through with important things as well.  It helps me to see that my expectations of myself aren't as solitary as they sometimes seem.   

Mano Watsa who is the Founder and President of PGC, Point Guard College, once shared his process which is quite elaborate but incredibly inspiring.  There are 2 parts to his in that he looks at the year in review and then he looks at the year ahead.  He also includes an area to help jumpstart his way into the New Year.  This is what his outline looks like:  

Year in Review 
1- Accomplishments 
2 - Highlights 
3 - Top Books I read and Top Movies/Documentaries I watched 
4 - Special People I connected with 
5 - Ways I Blessed Others 
6 - Learnings 
7 - Desired Outcomes Achieved 

Year Ahead 
1 - Systems & Habits to Develop 
2 - Goals 
3 - People to Spend Tie With 
4 - Areas I want to Grow 

Next Steps 
1 to 5 small things to get you moving in the right direction 

I know that both these ways can be quite elaborate in terms of taking the time to write it down, review and plan.  If you really want to have a big impact sometimes these can be used as road maps to help get you there.  

I recently came across a Matthew McConaughey video that really seemed to make this concept a bit more simple.  It was in 2014 when he was accepting a best actor award for Dallas Buyers Club he mentioned that in his life he finds he needs 3 things:
  1. Something to look up to 
  2. Something to look forward to 
  3. Something to chase 
(In case you want to watch


I think when we go into a New Year a lot of the focus is often on losing weight, making more money or things of that nature.  After getting through this time of year I am often reminded that the true emphasis on living isn’t about material things at all.  It is about making lasting and meaningful impacts on people, creating amazing memories and reflecting back on them.  These tools help to really keep me from not being stagnant and to keep striving in my own ways.  I hope this helps you to find a way to strive in your own way as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment