Sunday 11 October 2015

Attitude of Gratitude

Upon thinking about Thanksgiving it brought to mind the importance of being grateful and counting the blessings in your life however big or small they may be.  Possessing an attitude of gratitude is one of those things that really makes a big difference.  Not only in the state of mind you possess on a consistent basis but also when bad things happen it is within your ability to respond in a constructive way. There are so many times when it is easy to see the negative and pick situations apart.  When someone has a positive attitude it really stands out for the right reason on a team whether they are a parent, player or coach. 

As a coach it can be challenging because sometimes your harsh tone or your negativity is meant to influence a player or team to get the best out of them.  Coaches don’t have the luxury of being positive all of the time because they have to be able to change gears in order to influence their team to respond depending on the situations they are being faced with.  Parents have moments like this with their kids too.  

With that being said have you ever noticed that when you are thankful for something how more things situations seem to keep happening?  Some say where your focus goes energy flows.  When you are grateful and give your appreciation to the coach it really helps them to give their best.  The energy flows the other way too when as a coach you are grateful to those around you they pick themselves up as well and tend to give you their best.  When players are positive and grateful to both their parents and their coaches well that is something that is truly special and often a rarity in a generation where things are expected.    

I often wonder if Dr. James Naismith had any idea what he put into motion when he invented the game of basketball to be an “athletic distraction” during cold Massachusetts winters back in 1891. Originally it was a way to keep track athletes active when being cooped up inside during the cold winter months.  I wonder now if he would even recognize the game he conceived such a long time ago. There are so many people’s lives he has touched in such a meaningful way by developing this game.  It is incredibly to leave a legacy on such a global level.  I am incredibly grateful for his creativity.   

It also brings to mind the countless coaches that put so much time, effort and passion to help their players develop.  It doesn’t seem to matter if the goal is to enjoy the sport for recreation or at the highest level.  There are also those that play for a short time or those that play for a lifetime. Developing a player takes years of work as well as many different coaches that help in different capacities along the way.  There is a famous Phil Jackson quote that says “Not only is there more to life than basketball, there’s a lot more to basketball than basketball.” The life lessons that are available within this game make it so incredibly rich and inspiring.

A parent of one of my players once told me he wondered if his son knew what he had in his coaches at this stage of his life.  As a former player I think that appreciation was definitely realized for me far after my career was over.  When thinking back to each of the coaches that took time out of their busy lives to help me get better and develop my team it is truly inspiring.  Coaches really give a lot to their players and years later I am inspired by those that impacted my life in their own unique way.  There is no doubt it was through their combined efforts that I got a lot out of the game of basketball and it is no wonder why I feel such a willingness to give it back to the athletes I work with now.   


When I look at the time over the years I have been coaching I think about how at the end of the season there is often this big influx of thank you’s and sometimes gifts of appreciation when the team is about to part ways.  It is no doubt very nice to receive these items but one of the most powerful things I remember are the players who take the time to thank their coaches after each practice and every game. They extend their hand, give a nice firm handshake, look me in the eye and simply say “Thanks Coach!” It is extremely consistent by a handful of players and I really give their parents credit for instilling that in them.  It stands out incredibly well and really is something simple and genuine that means so much. Developing the attitude of gratitude and making it into a habit they use so consistently is amazing.   

My last point is the learning and developing as a coach never ends and there are challenging situations that often come up that have to be navigated.  No matter how many kids I have coached over the years I never get tired of the wonder of learning from them too.  There is something so exciting about getting to know someone new and helping them reach a level in their play or master a new move that they never knew was possible for them.  It is one of the things that keeps me going and striving to continue to grow and learn more.  

Thank you to the players I have coached in the past, the parents that selflessly support them and the coaches in my life that contribute to the journey with this great game!  I am grateful to all of you in some many ways that are far to numerous to mention.  I am definitely feeling very blessed!  Happy Thanksgiving!  

No comments:

Post a Comment