Saturday 15 October 2011

"Powdering" up Before the Game

A few months ago I was at a company golf tournament and one of my co-workers asked me about why his daughter always felt the need to put on a bunch of make-up before playing her hockey games.  She and her teammates religiously applied foundation, powder, eye liner, eye shadow, mascara, lipstick and whatever else they needed to feel “beautiful”.  They would then put on their equipment and headed out onto the ice as if the make-up was part of their uniform.  He knows I am an athlete and wanted to find out from me why she felt the need to do that.  Especially, considering when she emerged at the end of the game she “looked more like Alice Cooper than anything!” (with her eye liner dripping down her cheeks). 
The funny thing about this conversation is that it isn’t the first time I have had it.  A few men have brought it up to me on several occasions.  And to be honest I don’t really get it either. From when I started getting into sports in junior high up until I finished my basketball career in university there were classmates, teammates and friends of mine who battled with this exact thought process. 
After playing a super intense basketball game on a road trip when there was no time to even shower before we headed back on the bus for 3 hours some of my teammates would squeeze themselves back into their 2nd skin jeans and put on a super tight top.  They also had to swing by the mirror and make sure their hair and makeup looked just right.  The majority of my teammates were more concerned with being comfortable.  We breezed past the washroom to wash the sweat off our faces, threw on the sweatpants and hoody we came in and showed little concern about who was going to see us in the 5 minutes it took us to get back to the van.  It was going to be a dark ride home anyways so we didn’t care. 
I am going to be really honest.  I think makeup when you workout is dumb.  For one who cares about boys when you are in the middle of the game or a workout!  The focus should be on doing your best and that has nothing to do with looking pretty and has everything to do with being yourself.  Putting on make-up before a game is like putting on a mask.  It serves no purpose! When I was out on the court I wanted to be as real as possible and if that meant scoring the most points, playing the best defence or helping my teammates that was the important thing for me.  Of course winning was great too! 
Looking attractive while you play simply to pick up boys leaves you distracted from the purpose of what you came there to do!  Instead get his attention by playing your best and if he doesn’t like you for who you are then he who cares…next!  Boys are like buses if that one passes you by there will be another one no doubt about it.  I have had boyfriends that I met at the gym.  I was wearing a pair of basketball shorts down to my knees a baggy t-shirt that was 2 sizes too big and had my hair pulled back in a super tight pony tail.  He probably noticed me in a pickup game where I was cashing threes on his buddies.  When he came to take me out he couldn’t believe how beautiful I was when I put in a little effort.  Who wants the pressure of looking amazing all the time anyways?  No one in their right mind does.  Sometimes the priority is to be comfy and relaxed and that was when I played my best. 
My second point is makeup probably makes your skin worse.  Think about it!  You put it on and then go out and sweat.  Your skin soaks up the makeup, dirt particles are now stuck to your face because you are sweating and mixing in with your make-up.  On top of that now you have to put on more makeup to cover those breakouts too. At the end of the day, so what if you have a zit here or there it’s part of growing up and being a teenager.  Sure it is fun to look pretty and try some new make-up tips but leave that for another occasion.  You are never going to be in a face off and the other girl says “Wow!  I love your eye makeup… is it Mac?” And if she does then check her into the boards so the “boys” can get a fresh look at her make-up with her face smushed up against the glass!
If anything before you play sports you should washing your makeup off.  You’ll play better if you relax and free your mind of having to be pretty, tough, fierce, soft, aggressive and all of the other qualities that are competing against each other sub-consciously. Enjoy being young because right now you have nothing to cover up just be yourself that’s what is beautiful! (Your dad, uncle, brother, grandpa… think so too and I know this because they told me!) 

1 comment:

  1. I really think that girls that wear make up to play sports are insecure. Until they figure this out they will never reach their full potential. What is the most sad is that I don't think those girls wear make up for boys, they where it because their teammates do and it becomes important to look good and compete with other girls. There are girls that play sports and then there are athletes. I agree with you Marla, there is something amazing about seeing a girl take off her sweats and hoody, go kick some ass on the courqt and then you see her away from the game dressesed up and gorgeous. These are the girls that I respect because they have it all. They can be beautiful away from the court and an athlete on the court. There should be no make up, no crying, no high pitch squeals and no girly giggles on women's sports. I guess that means more role models are still needed.

    ReplyDelete